1.25.2010

Trees & Bees

For months I enjoyed the strange and unusually woodsy flavor of some dark amber honey that I was given during the holidays. I put it in my tea, on my oatmeal, and even right out of the belly of the familiar plastic bear it came in. 
Savoring its unique aroma, color and flavor, I wondered, "Where is this luscious honey from? Africa? Southeast Asia? No. It says on the label on belly of the bear: BearFest." I had to get some more! I had to find out about this Fest of Bears.
I inquired from the gift-giver about the delectable treat so I could stock up on it and make all sorts of fancy honey-based treats ... honey ham, honey mustard dressing, honey baked beans. Oh, the list of possibilities was endless.
Only ... I soon learned ... that it wasn't honey at all! 


It was maple syrup. Maple syrup posing as honey in a little plastic honey-bear container.


I ask, could you tell the difference?

No comments: