3.19.2009

Commitment-phobia?

I direct many shows here in NYC. And, as with 99.9% of shows, there are tickets to be purchased via some website that you click on, choose the date, and purchase your tickets. It's quite simple. 
As of late, many of my colleagues find it important to either e-mail or call or text or Facebook me this question: "Should I make a reservation?"
Why, oh why, wouldn't you make a reservation? Would you go to a third world country without getting vaccinated? Would you go on a long driving trip and not put gas in the tank? Would you show up at some hot Broadway show like "Wicked" and just expect to get tickets? Would you go to a wedding without RSVP'ing? Doubtful.
Here's the lesson: When someone sends you information about their show or event, go right ahead and take out your calendar, pick a date, call some friends, and make the reservation. It will assure you a seat, and it will help the performers and producers and directors and theater owners know that you are coming.
And, while I'm at it, please don't ask me to make the reservation for you. I already did my work. All you have to do is click.
Thank you, and enjoy the show.

No comments: