4.17.2011

Making a Lamp Out of String

I saw this lamp in West Elm that I wanted for the ceiling over the corner of my "L" shaped couch. I just didn't want to pay $80 for it. So, I decided to make my own using this stuff:
20" beach ball from Kmart
2 packs of Gardening Twine
3 bottles of Elmer's Glue
Cornstarch
Light Kit from West Elm
Total cost: $48
Place the ball on a plastic sheet on a plastic bowl so it doesn't roll around. Use a marker to make a circle with a bowl. Leave that part bare. Dip some string in a mixture of glue, a pinch of cornstarch, and a dab of water. Start at the top and make shapes and patterns. I decided to do a circular thing.
Keep on going. Let it dry. Turn the ball over and do the same on the other side. That circle should be bigger so you can fit your hand in it.
Then, start filling in the sides. Let it dry and keep patting it down so it takes the shape of the ball. Then, I had this:

I popped the ball and took it out. I got a pendant kit from West Elm and attached it using the wire from an old Chinese tissue paper shade. It looks like this.
And it even looks good close up. But, I might have to spray paint it ... red.

3 comments:

Connie Mae said...

I love this!

Peter Michael Marino said...

make one! it's messy and satisfying and takes 3 days. xo

Marcia in Austin said...

Coincidentally, last week I picked up an old copy of Ready Made magazine at the magazine exchange at the library that had this lamp project in it. not planning on making it... just a bit of synchronicity.