4.12.2011

The Last Word

St. Matthias School
If you look at any of my elementary school report cards from St. Matthias in Queens, the comment that comes up without fail is: "Peter is a wonderful student, but he always has to have the last word."
Having the "last word" in Catholic School is nearly impossible. Actually, speaking in class at all is a major sin. But, year after year, the nuns commented on how much I talked. I questioned everything (like the creation of Adam & Eve and the source of Root Beer). I answered back, and I wouldn't take no for an answer. Show and Tell was my favorite subject. Nap time was an impossibility.
If the nuns only knew that I went on to make my living by speaking -- hawking beers, bands, banks and perfumes. This is important stuff, people!
I recently noticed on my Facebook posts that the threads I start are often quite long. Folks like to jump on my silly bandwagon. I enjoy conversation, even if it's typed. And if you read way down to the last comment -- it's always mine. Always.
Which I blame on the nuns. If they whacked me on my knuckles with a ruler in the name of Jesus more often, my Facebook posts would end sooner ... and I'd be flat broke.
Comments?

No comments: