3.22.2011

Party City

Last week I was at Party City shopping for "Spring-like" party decorations for the set of a show I'm directing in April. I found a package of over-sized cardboard flowers and butterflies in aisle 1, but since it was pouring rain, I figured I'd just come back and purchase them when the weather was a bit more tolerable.
I went back yesterday, and the perfect package of flowers and butterflies were not there! I looked around; up and down the aisles. No luck.
I cautiously asked a salesgirl for help. 
"Hi, I'm looking for those packages of cardboard flowers and butterflies that were on this wall here last week."
"Oh. We moved things around. Let's see. Here! Is this what you were looking for?"
"No. Those are paper Easter eggs."
"How about these?"
"No. Those are tiny bunny stickers. I'm looking for the over-sized cardboard flowers and butterflies. 30 in a pack? They were here last week?"
"Oh! Over here. These?"
"No. Those are window decals of birds."
"Let's look over here. Is this it?"
"No. That's a package of paper bunnies, eggs, and rainbows."
"Oh. Well, I guess we are sold out. Sorry."
I assumed she was right. After all, they were the most awesome, perfect cardboard flowers and butterflies ever. I started to leave the store, and right there by the front door, was a display rack filled with all sorts of flowery napkins, butterfly tablecloths, and the package of flowers and butterflies I was seeking.
I took 2 packs of my product off the rack and walked them over to the salesgirl.
"I found the product. Right there on the rack with the other Spring stuff."
"Oh! Great! I thought you were looking for Easter stuff."
I smiled as hard as I could, and paid for my flowers and butterflies.
This set is gonna be so great. 
But now, I am hoping it doesn't look like an Easter show. That would be confusing. Jesus does not rise from the dead at any point in the show.

No comments: