6.01.2010

All the Same

Christmas morning! That's what it looked like in the lobby of my building this Memorial Day weekend. Flat screen TV's. Swanky mid-century furniture. Art in frames. I stop to chat with the little Asian gal keeping watch on the goods.
"Love that print," I said.
"Got it in Soho. Some artist," the friendly woman replied.
"Goes great with that green chair," I responded.
"Thanks so much," she said.
"Well, welcome to the building. My name is Peter; apartment 8F, if you need anything."
She paused.
"We're moving out."
"Oh," I whimpered. "How long have you lived here?"
"Four years. I gotta get this stuff out to the moving van. Nice to meet you."


Next day, the lobby is once again full of furniture and boxes. Asian gal steps off the elevator to load her stuff onto it.
"Moving in?" I cautiously ask.
"Yes; picked a good weekend for it," she replies.
"Well, welcome to the building ... "



No comments: