9.21.2009

Authority Issues

When I was a kid, I looked up to cops. After all, they had walkie talkies, they wore uniforms, and they made sure that the bad guys stayed off the mean streets of Queens where I lived.
Nowadays, I look down on most cops. Many are overweight and make me question whether they could run after a crook without having a heart attack. 
I see them smoking while on duty (which no child should ever see). Again, could a cop who smokes chase down a drug dealer?
I see them spitting on the sidewalk (which should be illegal anyway) and I see them texting on their cell phones while on duty.
Maybe they always spat. Perhaps they always smoked. Maybe there were always fat ones.
I just wish that authority figures were more like the nuns I had in Catholic School. 
They could take down a bank robber with a cold, hard stare.

1 comment:

Sandra O'Day said...

I've thought about taking phone photos of cops texting -- pretty easy since it's all they do from what I can tell. Especially the ones who duck into bank lobbies while they do it. Nice.