8.10.2009

Shopping with the Whole World

While shopping for a few items at the Union Square Whole Foods, I noticed that it was awfully busy for a mid-summer Thursday afternoon. Like, totally packed from the escalators to the smelly cheese section to the dining area.
Then, I took a closer look at who was shopping and no one seemed to actually be from either the Columbus Circle, New York City, or even the Tri-State area.
How do I know?
- Men wearing sandals with black socks
- Families of six; all wearing neon backpacks
- Little kids running amok at the food bar
- Folks unfolding huge subway maps in the tiny cookie aisle
- No one speaking English
I covered every inch of the store in search of these excellent gluten-free frozen meatballs; and everywhere I went, I was crammed, pushed, and knocked into by the throngs of tourists taking a day trip to the local supermarket. Granted, it's not a typical local supermarket. But, where else in the world do locals go food shopping with tourists?
I never found my meatballs. But, I did give directions to the Staten Island Ferry.

No comments: