7.25.2009

Snitch

As I walked to get my cup of coffee from my local deli, a homeless guy outside the deli said, 
"Hey buddy, got a quarter?" 
Of course I didn't. I only carry one-hundred dollar bills.
When I left the store, I saw the homeless guy steal a container of fruit from the ice box outside the deli, which he then tossed to his homeless accomplice a few feet away. Boy, these guys are intrepid!
I debated if I should say something to the deli owner.
The homeless guy caught my eye again and said, "Hey buddy, got a quarter?" 
As if he didn't just ask me that same question a moment earlier.
Insulted that he didn't remember me, I went back into the deli and heroically reported the crime I had witnessed ...
"Little homeless guy in yellow tattered shirt lifted some melon and tossed it to fat homeless guy in red shirt out there."
I really need to carry more quarters, or make a better first impression. And, I need to understand how it's possible for a homeless guy to be fat if he lives off of stolen fruit.

No comments: