6.10.2009

Tube Time 2

While riding the Tube in London last week, I often carried a full backpack - so I could look even more like a tourist. During one particular rush hour journey, I had to make use one of the folding handicap seats, as all of the other seats were taken, and there were no handicapped people on board who were in need of the special spring-loaded seats.
My backpack was weighing heavily on my gentle frame, so I decided to briefly stand up and take it off my back. When I plopped myself back down on the seat, I hit the floor of the car with a thud, as the seat had sprung back into it's "unfolded" position.
It literally knocked the wind out of me, but I sort of laughed it off. I looked around at the passengers on the train, who had clearly witnessed my graceless folly. And in true British fashion, my fellow commuters darted their eyes in my pathetic direction, and then back to their newspapers. 
I wouldn't have minded if someone had asked if I was all right, but I would have settled for someone at least snickering at the site of this foolish American on the floor, gasping for air.
How the hell do the handicapped riders handle it?

No comments: