1.21.2009

All Day Affair

Yesterday was the inauguration of Barack Obama, and it was a long day. As the events unfolded on CNN, it was clear that Barack and his family were very busy. Plus, they had to move into the White House that night and sleep there for the first time!
I wondered when and if they had time to brush their teeth in between all those meals. When was there time to take a leak? Walk the dog? Change their Facebook status?! 
I really thought about this. I mean, that family was shuttled around from the wee hours of the morning until way past midnight. From speeches, to ceremonies, to cavalcades, to lunches, to dinners, to balls ... and all that hand-shaking! How does Barack not get a cold? I get a cold if I take the subway on a rainy day.
I don't know how they all made it through that day. Those little freezing girls, Malia and Sasha. The heels on Michelle. So much in and out, running around, and so much to do!
If I have more than three appointments in one day, I have to take the previous day off to rest-up, and the next day off to recoup. If I have a Presidential Ball to go to (or even a BYOB party on the Lower East Side) I need to take the whole day off to "prepare." If I was moving into a new home, I wouldn't be able to sleep the night before 'cause I'd be so nervous with excitement and fear. Heck, if I was being inaugurated into the Presidency of the "Pork Chop Fan Club" I wouldn't be able to sleep the night before. Did the Obama's sleep the night before the big day? How?
And then Barack has the nerve to go to work the next day.  He's just gonna plop himself down at the Presidential desk in the Oval Office and just start working. Just like that! Let me tell ya, if I had a full day like an inauguration day, you better  believe I'd be spending the next day in bed. Not running the country.
You go, Obama! You go! And if you can figure out a way to bottle your miracle energy elixir, please make it available at my local Duane Reade.

1 comment:

Sandra O'Day said...

You are hereby nominated as the pork chop fan club president.